Friday, February 20, 2009

The Swill: Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
The Still:
Rogue Ales
Newport, Oregon
http://www.rogue.com
The Drill: Strong Ale/Doppelbock, 26oz bottle, 9.0% ABV
The Spill:
Stand back. The Double Dead Guy Ale will blow your socks off. An awesome beer from the word go, tons of everything go into this beer. Hoppy enough for hop heads, a piney, citrusy front hits the palate first, followed immediately by rich caramel malts. Mellow and smooth, yet big in flavor, the brewers describe a toffee-like quality, which is right on the mark. Fruity, chewy and bready all at once, this beer lacks nothing except bitterness. A truly amazing concoction that offers more than words can describe.

Says Bill:
I've had this brew only twice, and the first time, I was a little lit, as we were drinking it at my bachelor party. It's an immense beer without being overpowering, and all the guys passed glasses around and enjoyed a sip or three. None were disappointed, although each gave a different review, in part, I think, due to the ale's supreme complexity. This is one for the history books, and Rogue knows it; sold in single 26oz bottles, my local beer store prices it at 11 bucks. Is it worth it? Yes. I've never had another beer like it. Can one blame it on the ecstasy of male bonding? Sure. Anything tastes good when you're with the company I kept that night. But I tried it again, and it was a treat the second time, too.

Refill?:
One for me, one for Frank, one for Dave, one for Sean, one for Scott, one for Robert, and one for Brad. Wait, Brad doesn't like beer. That's OK, the rest of us will split his: 5 taps out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment