Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Swill: Athenian: The Greek Beer
The Still: Athenian Brewery, S.A.
Athens, Greece
http://www.beerexports.gr
The Drill: Lager/pilsner, 11.2oz bottle, 5.0% ABV, no longer produced.
The Spill: A typical hot-weather beer, this brew was no doubt produced to help the locals and tourists sweat out the long summer days in Greece. More wet than flavorful, it's designed to satisfy a dry throat rather than a bored palate. Research turns up no leads indicating that this marque is still in production; could be that people wanted a little bit of flavor after all.
Says Bill: My friend Margaret is the only other person I know who claims to have tried this beer. 5 or 6 years back, she visited Greece during the summer. After a midday hike up a mountain in 110-degree weather, a couple of these really hit the spot for her. I bought mine about 10 years ago from West Point Market, my then employer. Living in Ohio at the time, chances were good that I did not drink it while it was 110 degrees out, not did I drink it following a hike up a mountain. As a result, I was much less satisfied with it than Margaret was.
Refill?: Considering I'm not even sure you can find the stuff anymore, no: 1 tap out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment