Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Swill: Apollo Space Crafted Ale
The Still: Big Bang Brewery
St. Paul, Minnesota
(no longer in business)
The Drill: Ale, 12oz bottle, ABV unknown, no longer in production
The Spill: Crafted as an homage to the Apollo space program, this beer was bottled in attractive cobalt glass with a simple but elegant silk screened logo. I don't remember anything about the taste of the beer, and the back label says little to jog my memory: "From another world. Aged ale. But aged on very earthly oak." Maybe it was tasty, but now I'll never know for sure.
Says Bill: My dad bought this beer and gave me a bottle. With yesterday marking the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing, I thought it would be a good time to post it online. (Yesterday would have been an even better time, but I was distracted.) If memory serves, this beer came out around the time of Apollo 11's 30th anniversary, so I guess this post marks Apollo Ale's 10th anniversary as well, though it's no longer around. I wish it was. It was a cool concept that joined two of my favorite passions together, space and beer. I wonder if the astronauts have space beer in those little drink pouches so they can knock a few back on the ISS? I bet the Russians do...
Refill?: That's one small drink for [a] man, one...giant gulp for mankind: 2 taps out of 5.

1 comment: