Friday, July 24, 2009

The Swill: Kiper Bock
The Still: Browar Kiper
Piotrow Trybunalski, Poland
http://www.sulimar.com.pl/english/
The Drill: Bock lager, 11.2oz bottle, 7% ABV
The Spill: Pilsners, having been invented in Eastern Europe, are the most popular style of beer in that region. It's no surprise, then, that this bock resembles a pilsner in nearly every way, rather than the genre advertised on the label. Pouring brassy with a fizzy white head, the nose is all pilsner. The flavor is weak, also comparable to a pilsner, with a little extra malt, and an unpleasantly sweet, metallic finish.
Says Bill: Having more Polish blood than anything else in my ethnic makeup, I really want to like all things Polish. The food? Check. The language? Check. (OK, the dirty words, and that's about it.) The beer? I hate to say it, but I haven't found one yet that's palatable. It makes me sad. When it boils down to it, I'm an American, and American beers are by far my favorite, so I at least have that going for me. But it's a hard truth to admit that many of my ancestors come from a country that makes some real shitty beer. Sorry, Motherland.
Refill: The label says the name is pronounced "Keeper." The beer itself, however, is not: 0.5 taps out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment