Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Swill: Morimoto Soba Ale
The Still: Rogue Brewing Company
Newport, Oregon
http://www.rogue.com/
The Drill: Specialty Ale made with soba (buckwheat), 22oz bottle, alcohol not listed.
The Spill: A delicate beer that is surprisingly complex. A somewhat nutty flavor from the buckwheat, complementing a light, easy body and a crisp, clean finish. A great beer to pair with good food as it doesn't get in the way.
Says Bill: I remember the impression more than I remember the flavor. I bought a single bottle on a whim, just to try something new from a brewery I admired. I had it with my dinner and it went amazingly well. I want to say that I was eating adobo that night, which is a Filipino chicken dish. If it wasn't, I would try it again with that. If you want to pair it, think poultry or fish. Interestingly enough, it's named after Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto, who worked together with the folks at Rogue to release this beer.
Refill?: Move over, Sapporo. Japanese restaurants should pick a new favorite: 3 taps out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment